Old fashion chicken soup recipe
Fall is approaching us quickly and with the colder weather comes my favorite food, soup! Some people would say soup isn’t food. But even when presented with it, they sure seem to eat it right up!! This is a hearty, creamy, old fashioned chicken noodle soup that will be the perfect meal to warm up the worst of those gloomy fall and winter nights.
As a kid, I remember getting sick and eating the Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup. My mom hated giving it to me right out of the can, so she’d warm it up, spice it up, add a few vegetables and make it real yummy. But this soup, wow it blows Campbell’s out of the water. It warms the soul, makes you feel great inside and makes you want to fill your bowl again. If you grew up loving chicken noodle soup, but have struggled to find a homemade chicken noodle soup recipe, try this! I know you’ll love it and so will those picky eaters!!
5.0 from 1 reviews
Old Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 3 large chicken breasts seasoned to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or veg oil
- 3 whole carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried or 3-5 sprigs thyme minced (I like a strong Thyme flavor so I used 5 fresh sprigs)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 bag of frozen grandma style egg noodles
- 2 Tbsp freshly minced parsley
- First you will need to brown the outside of the chicken breasts.
- Clean your chicken, pat it dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a Large pot pour 2 tbsp olive oil or veg oil and heat until oil is nearly smoking (medium high heat).
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side. Once chicken is golden brown remove from pot and set aside.
- Add chopped carrots, celery, and onion and cook at medium low until onion is translucent and carrots are soft.
- At this point add ¼ cup butter and ¼ cup flour and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes to create a roux.
- After 2-3 minutes add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds stirring constantly.
- At this point add chicken stock, browned chicken, peas, dried herbs, and salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 1 hour and remove chicken to shred.
- Shred chicken and return to pot.
- Add defrosted noodles and turn heat up to a medium high heat (lightly boiling) and cook until noodles reach desired texture or as long as the package recommends. (I always seem to cook mine a bit longer).
- Once noodles are cooked add fresh parsley.