Sasmira institute of fashion designing
(AICTE Approved Three Year Full Time Diploma in Textile Technology)
Message from Centre for Textiles In-charge
Indian Textile industry is growing at faster rate and needs the qualified technicians for its sustainability in the competitive market. The free globalised trade created cut throat competition and only personnel the best in each and every aspect of the business is need of the hour.
Our institute is a pioneer in creating a strong cadre of professional managers, confident of facing the emerging challenges in the Textile Industry at the national and international level. The perfect blend technical and various functional areas of management curriculum along with congenial environment of our institute provide ample opportunity to learn and enrich their knowledge and also improve their skills in the field of textile management.
The diploma holders from the Centre For Textile Functions, MPSTME, NMIMS are analytically and technically sound persons. The courses we conduct here as parts of the curriculum are helpful in strengthening the student’s ability to efficiently approach problems and bring out efficient solutions.
We have our group’s most modern textile industry (PSSGL & other), where all the textile activities are carried out in single premises. This helps in updating student’s technical knowledge as per recent industries requirements. We believe in more industrial exposure to the students for their better understanding and developments. Our main focus is to bridge the gap between education and industry and for this we have adopted various concepts like, See and learn, Work and learn and Mentoring concept.
Teaching, Learning and Evalution
In most of the subjects, there will be theory and practical classes. Time table will be for approximately 32 to 35 contact hours per week. After second year there will be In-plant training of 2 months in modern textile industries. During training the students will be allotted small industry based project work for which guidance by the faculty and industry mentor will be available. The students will be required to make presentation of the project work.
Student is required to have minimum of 80% attendance in the classes for every subject and must complete all the term work prescribed for the subjects.
For most of the subjects, marks are assigned for internal continuous assessment (ICA) and term end examination (TEE). Continuous assessment includes: class tests and term work containing practical work, and/or assignments and oral exam. For passing in a subject, student must obtain a minimum of 40% marks in individual. i.e. in ICA and TEE and 50% in combined total of ICA and TEE.
Indian textile industry is one of the leading textile industries in the world. Indian textile industry largely depends upon textile manufacturing and exports. It also plays a major role in economy of the country. The sector contributes about 14% to industrial production, 4% to the GDP and 17% to the country’s export earnings. It provides direct employment to over 35 million people. The textile industry is the second largest provider of employment after agriculture.
India has the potential of increase its textile and apparel share in the world trade from current level of 4.5% to 8% and reach US billion by 2020. The global technical textile industry is estimated at US7 billion and its size in India is pegged at US billion. Thus, the growth and all round development of industry has a direct bearing on the huge requirement of technocrats.
We need textile education because Developing strategic action plan, Handling problems related to gender issues, Evaluation and monitoring, Development of supply chain, Labor safeguard provisions, Develop product, Invent new product and textile technology, Firefighting and disaster management and so on. Industry is ever changing towards achieving excellence, better quality controls, using automated machinery, environmental consciousness and following Right First Time concept besides giving training to vocational staff from time to time.
The technology now available in the industry redefines the role of technician’s and professionals at all levels. Hence, the methodology and curriculum is designed keeping in mind; the need of the industry and the aptitude of younger generation.
Priyadarshini Sahakari Soot Girni Limited (PSSGL), Shirpur has a modern plant covering all the gamut of operations of textile processes Viz; Ginning, spinning, knitting, weaving, wet processing, garmenting under one roof. This has encouraged the management to select the location of Shirpur, as the centre of textile functions, for the young rural generation
To be a vibrant and innovative centre for education, research and executive training in the field of textile technology, to develop a cadre of socially responsive technocrats by providing quality education to the rural and urban youth and thereby serving the textile industry and community at large, both nationally and internationally.
Our mission is to shape up the students with quality education and training in consonance with the vision of the department and to develop attitude, skills by providing learner friendly atmosphere and ultimately make them fit to strive for responsibilities towards industry, society and nation
To create the platform to connect the industry with the academics by keeping continuous interaction with industry personnel t upgrade curriculum to develop core competency in the various skills required to work in textile industry.
CTF is having good industrial experienced full time faculties. Apart from this, numbers of experienced persons from industries and academic Institutions are being made available for teaching various subjects.
After successful completion of the above courses, candidates can opt for direct employment in manufacturing industries: Spinning, Weaving, Knitting, chemical Processing, Garmenting, Production Planning, Product Development, Merchandising, Sourcing, Quality audits, etc.
DTT holders will have an opportunity to upgrade their skills and knowledge by further perusing:
- Direct admission to second year of B.Tech. in Textiles degree course.
- Graduate Member of Textile Association (GMTA) of Textile Association of India (TAI), which is equivalent to B.Tech. (Textiles), recognised by Vishweshwariah Technological University, Karnataka.
- Associate Member of Institution of Engineers India (AMIE), of Institution of Engineers India (IEI.), which is equivalent to BE/BTech (Textiles).
- DTT students with two years of experience with GMTA /AMIE/B.Tech. can pursue MBA courses
Unique Feature of Course
- More industrial exposure by conducting practical in PSSGL and group of industries.
- More emphasis on See & Learn and Work and Learn.
- Good relation with textiles and allied industries helps in getting placements and experts for curriculum development and teaching our students.
- Thorough in-plant training in all aspects of Textile manufacturing processes with special reference to Spinning, Weaving, Chemical processing, Garmenting and Knitting, etc. Qualified and experienced technicians from the industry will act as mentors to every student.
- High tech infrastructure available at Priyadarshani Sahakari Soot Girni Limited (PSSGL) with modern textile manufacturing activities covering Ginning, Spinning, Weaving, Knitting, Chemical Processing and Garmenting. This helps to give direct exposure to the students to the modern machineries.
- Good relation with the industry by continuous interaction to upgrade curriculum and develop core competency in the various skills required to work in textile industry.
- Industrial Experienced Faculties.
- In-Plant Training
- The course emphasizes the development of the Technical man power required at various levels and by different sectors of the Textile Industry.
- It offers a unique opportunity for the students from the rural area. After successful completion of the Diploma in Textile Technology (DTT) or Post Graduate Diploma in Textile Processing (PGDTP), the students will have complete technical knowledge and the skills for the jobs in the textile industry.
- The institute will be approaching textile industries to understand their requirements and incorporate it in syllabus so as to have 100% placement with premium salary package for the students passing out from the institute.
- The curriculum is designed keeping in view the needs of all the sectors of the Textile processes. During this course, the students will be educated and trained in all the aspects of specialization offered in the state-of-art technology at PSSGL textile mills near the college premises at Shirpur.
- Our main aim is to develop highly technically skilled man power with good managerial and leadership qualities. Thrust is given on thorough training in all textile functions in the course curriculum.
- In view of developing technicians with practical aspects of working with machines, the training will be organized in most modern textile plants, where all the activities right from raw material to finished garmenting is carried out under one roof.
- B.Sc. Chemistry final year students or B.Sc. passed and/or working students can opt for part time Advanced Diploma in Textile Wet Processing Add on (ADTWP Add-On) program to get additional professional qualification. This helps them to get job in textile field.
Board of Studies
Mr. M. S. Anjane
Priyadarshini Sahakari Soot Girni, Shirpur
Specialization: Textile Technology, Textile Management.
B Text and M Text Textiles(VJTI), EX- CEO Maral Overseas, 36 years of experience in Industry at various levels of management.
Dr. D. J. Shah
Ex-Dean ( In charge)
Mukesh Patel School of Technology
Management & Engineering,NMIMS Mumbai
Specialization: Chemical Engg. PhD (Tech) DMS
Ex Principal SBM Polytechnic, Mumbai. Ex Principal DJ Sanghvi Engineering College,Mumbai.
Total 25 years of experience.
Mr. K. H. Gopal
Executive Director & Secretary,
Alok Industries LTD
Specialization: Post graduation in Law and Management
Associate membership with the institute of company Secretaries of India and post graduation degree in Law from the Mumbai University.
Mr. Updeep Singh
CEO, Consortium Textiles, Mumbai.
Specialization: Business Management
B.Sc., MBA, Experience of more than 23 years in textile Industry.
Mr. H. K. Chatarjee
Vice President, Raymond Ltd.
Specialization: Textile Industry and Management
Established new Raymond plant in Vapi as a Works Director Manufacturing worsted suiting.
Dr. Milind K. Bhortakke
GM (Operation), Mafatlal Industries Ltd
Specialization: Textile Technology Spinning
M.Tech Textiles PhD (IITD) 16 years of experience in Research / Industry.
Mr. Rashmi Shah
Consultant, Fact personnel, Ahmedabad
Specialization: Textile Technology Consultant
B.Text, M Text Textile (VJTI) 35 years of experience in reputed Textile Industries.
Mr. S. Rajappa
President,Reid & Taylor India Ltd.
Specialization: Textile Technology, MBA-Operation Management
Worked with many Textile industries in a capacity of vice president
Mr. S. K. Singhal
Specialization: Business Management
About 35 years experience in textile Industry in leadership positions and expert in creating business network.
Dr. H. V. S Murthy
Chairman, Professional Award Committee, The textile Association (India), Consultant
Specialization: M.Tech Textiles PhD (IITD) FIE, FTA.
Retired Professor and Head Textile Department, VJTI Mumbai, 32 years teaching and Research. Experience. Chartered Textile Engineer. 86 publications in reputed journals and author of 2 Technical Books
Dr. Vishnu A. Dorugade
I/C Principal, Centre for Textile Functions, MPSTME, NMIMS, Shirpur Campus
Specialization: Chemical Processing, Quality Control and Textile Auxiliaries.
B. Sc.(Tech), M. Sc. (Tech), Ph.D.(Tech), PGDIM with 8 years Industrial and 12 years academic experience, 26 publications and papers presentations.
3 years (6 Semesters) full time course with 2 months Industrial Training
Intake - 60 Seats
Introduction to Textile Fibres
Basic Workshop Practice
Spinning Preparatory I
Development of Life Skills
Spinning Preparatory II
Fabric Manufacturing Technology
Technology of Bleaching and Dyeing
Fabric Structure and Design
Professional Practices I
Yarn Manufacturing Technology
Technology of Printing and Finishing
Textile Industry Planning, Costing and Quality Management
Advanced Yarn Manufacturing
Advanced Fabric Manufacturing
Textile Machinery Maintenance
Evaluation of In-plant Training
Process Control in Yarn Manufacturing
Process Control in Fabric Manufacturing
Electives (Any One Subject)
Advanced Knitting Technology (Elective)
Technology of Clothing Manufacturing (Elective)
Man-Made Fibres Technology (Elective)
Advanced Chemical Processing Technology (Elective)
The students will undergo Industrial training after completion of Semester IV
(Two months in-plant training in all the aspects or as per specialization in Spinning, Weaving, Chemical processing and Garmenting, etc. in the various modern Textile Industries)
Job Opportunities and Placements
- Textile engineering graduates find excellent job opportunities in diverse industrial sectors.
- Their career path includes Process Engineering, R and D, Production Control, Technical Sales, Quality Control, and Corporate Management through the production supervisory route.
- One can find jobs in Industrial Engineering, Product Development, Marketing, Technical Sales, and other areas.
Various areas where student can work
Production : Start with Textile Engineer, Management Trainees or Textile Technologist in Spinning, Weaving, Garmenting, Knitting and wet processing of Textiles
R &D/Laboratory : Textile industries, Textile Dyes & Auxiliaries companies for Product Development, Process development, Dyes and Chemical testing, Process control and Quality control
Technical Services, Marketing:Textile Chemicals/Auxiliaries and Dyes like Dyestar, Clairent, Huntsman, Atul Ltd., Resil, etc.
Research Institutes: Govt., Semi Govt. and private research institutions, like BTRA, ATIRA, MANTRA, SITRA, NITRA, CIRCOT, WRA, SASMIRA, etc., where high quality research is carried out on various industrial, semi-government and government projects.
Garmenting: Manufacturing, Fashion designing, Processing, etc.
Merchandising : Export Houses
Technical Textiles: i.e. applications of textiles other than apparels, like Medical, Agriculture, Civil, Transportation, Sports, Defense, non-woven, etc. This field is growing rapidly in India giving tremendous opportunities of employment.
Textile engineering is one of the lucrative fields. Fresh graduates can earn their initial income around Rs 12,000 to Rs 20,000 every month. The income rises according to their experience and skills. A textile engineer with 2-3 years of industrial experience can earn more than Rs 50,000/- every month excluding other perks and benefits.
This is the third consecutive year from starting of our institute, we are successful in getting 100% placements. In all our programs, the students are performing their practical work in Priyadarshini Sahakari Soot Girni Limted, located at Shirpur. Hence, the students are getting very good industrial exposure right from first day of their college.
Initially the students are placed at the production level, quality controls and technical services in various specializations like, spinning, weaving, chemical processing, garmenting, knitting, etc. After getting good hands on experience they may continue their services in the same field or change the nature of services as per their interest.
- Priyadarshini Sahakari Soot Girni Limted, Shirpur
- Alok Industres Ltd., Vapi
- Welspun India Ltd., Vapi
- Welspun India, Anjar
- Bombay Rayon Fashion Ltd., Boisar
- Bombay Dyeing
- Maral Overseas Ltd., Indore
- Century Denim Ltd., Indore
- Pratibha Syntex Ltd.
- Shakti Knitting
- Arvind Ltd.
- DyeStar Ltd.
- Rubby Mills Ltd.
- Yuti Procesors, Malegaon
- Banswara Apparel, Surat
- Valiant Glass Works, Boisar